Rat Trap Cheddar Cheese
$15.99Calef’s Country Store
Our most famous and best selling hand packed creamy cheddar. Sold by the lb.
Calef’s features many varieties of “Snappy Old Cheddar” with varying degrees of sharpness. As a cheddar ages it loses moisture, becomes crumblier, begins to crystalize (tyrosine) and gets sharper in flavor.
Our Cheddar scale, least sharp to stand up and take notice:
- Sharp – the opposite of it’s name this is our mildest offering
- Extra Sharp – A bit sharper but still considered a mild cheese.
- Rat Trap – Our best seller. Creamy, a bit sharp. Cut from hand packed 40LB wheels.
- Super Sharp – Still creamy but a bit sharper after bite
- Rugged Cheddar – As the name implies, has some bite. A good start on your aged cheddar journey.
- 3 Year Aged – Aged at least 3 years, crystals and crumbly texture starting to develop.
- Wicked Sharp – Crystals and crumbly texture very prevalent. A little bit goes a long way!
- 6 Year Vintage – Our sharpest offering, heavily crystalized and very crumbly
About The Producer
Calef’s Country Store
In 1869, just after the Civil War, Mary Chesley Calef mortgaged her family farm and pledged her savings to open Calef’s Store in the front rooms of her modest home in Barrington NH. Five generations of the Calef family operated Calef’s Big Store until the 1990’s, including Mary’s son Senator Austin Calef. Today the traditions endure as Calef’s Country Store serves the local community as well as visitors from afar. We still pump our own molasses and honey, cheese is aged in our cooler, and our smoked Ham is mouthwatering.
Walk through our doors today and take a step back to a simpler time, when customer service wasn’t a gimmick, but the way things were done.
The wood floors creak with stories of lore, our wood stove warms passersby, the aroma of fresh baked breads and donuts entice even the healthiest of folks.
Jar after jar of penny candy tempts young and old alike.
Our Calef’s brand old fashioned jams, jellies, pickle items, bread and soup mixes offer something for everyone.
The wooden pickle barrel is still a focal point in the store. Our Ginger Snaps are renowned for their bite.
Next time you visit New Hampshire, stop by and pay us a visit, you’ll be glad you did. Store hours and directions.
Sorry I was unable to purchase the cheese to try it. I have loved Rat Cheese for 60+ years and have a difficult time finding it in Houston. The younger generation, I have been told, want more exotic named cheeses. I chose not to order it from you, although having been to your store numerous times, due to the cost of postage. It was in excess of $20 for single pound. While I understand that is beyond your control it did not make sense for me. Thanks.
Mr Roscoe Whitney
I’ve been in your store many years ago and have had your cheeses throughout the years and there always top quality.
Rat Trap Cheddar Cheese
Very disappointed in the rat cheese. Very bland and lacked the sharpness usually associated with real rat cheese. I would call this a very, very mild cheese and not a rat cheese at all. Not what I expected.